Sculptura; or, The history and art of chalcography, and engraving in copper: with ample enumeration of the most renowned masters and their works. To which is annexed, a new manner of engraving, or mezzotinto, communicated by His Highness Prince Rupert to the author of this treatise.
- The 2d ed., containing ... memoirs of the author's life.
- London, J. Murray, 1769.
- Physical Description:
- 3 p.l., [iii]-xxxvi, 140 p. front. (port.) 2 plates (1 fold.) 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE1760 E9 1769View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BAC,RB: Imperfect: frontispiece wanting.
BAC,RB: The sheets of the 1755 ed., with a cancelled t.-p.--Cf. Keynes, Geoffrey. John Evelyn. Oxford, 1968, p. 122.
BAC,RB: The frontispiece is by Thomas Worlidge, after Nanteuil; the fold. plate is a copy by Houston of the original, which was engraved by Prince Rupert, after Spagnoletto.
BAC,RB: Bookplate of Howard C. Levis.
SML,AOB: Copy imperfect: 2nd p.l. wanting.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- History.Mezzotint engraving.
YCBA Collections Search
Evelyn, John, 1620-1706, Sculptura; or, The history and art of chalcography, and engraving in copper, 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.