The wood demon, or the hour of one
- London : Printed and published by M. Skelt, [between 1835-1837]
- Physical Description:
- 21 pages ; 17 cm. and 26 sheets : lithographs ; 17 x 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsToy Theater Webb Skelt Wood demonYale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans P. KrausView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Juvenile drama emerged in England soon after 1800, forming itself from the adult drama of the time. The plays were adapted from their original stage version into a miniature toy version with actors, costumes and scenery intended for a juvenile audience. Characters and scenes were intended to be cut out and dramatized.
M. G. Lewis' Wood Demon, or, the hour of one was first performed at the Lyceum in 1814. See: Speaight.
The publisher M. Skelt was active from1835 to1837. See Speaight.
Speaight, G. History of the English toy theatre, pages 193-194, 210
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: lacks booklet. The sheets of characters and wings are uncut and uncolored.
- Subject Terms:
- Ballads, English -- Juvenile drama.Children's plays, English.
Lithographs -- [between 1835-1837].
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.