Aymonino, Adriano, Drawn from the antique , 2015
- Drawn from the antique : artists & the classical ideal / Adriano Aymonino and Anne Varick Lauder ; with contributions from Eloisa Dodero, Rachel Hapoienu, Ian Jenkins, Jerzy Keirkuć-Bieliński, Michiel C. Plomp and Jonathan Yarker.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Artists & the classical ideal
Artists and the classical ideal.
- London : Sir John Soane's Museum, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 256 pages : illustrations (some color), portraits (some color), facsimiles ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryN8217.C38 A96 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 232-254).
"This catalogue examines one of the most important educational tools and sources of inspiration for Western artists for over five hundred years: drawing after the Antique. From the Renaissance to the 19th century, classical statues offered young artists idealised models from which they could learn to represent the volumes, poses and expressions of the human figure and which, simultaneously, provided perfected examples of anatomy and proportion. For established artists, antique statues and reliefs presented an immense repertory of forms that they could use as inspiration for their own creations. Through a selection of thirty-nine drawings, prints and paintings, covering more than four hundred years and by artists as different as Federico Zuccaro, Hendrick Goltzius, Peter Paul Rubens, Charles-Joseph Natoire, Henry Fuseli and Joseph Mallord William Turner, this catalogue provides the first overview of a phenomenon crucial for the understanding and appreciation of European art."--Page 2 of book cover.
- Preface / Abraham Thomas -- Introduction / Adriano Aymonino and Anne Varick Lauder -- Ideal beauty and the canon in classical antiquity / Ian Jenkins and Adriano Aymonino -- 'Nature perfected' : the theory & practice of drawing after the antique / Adriano Aymonino -- Catalogue.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, European -- 16th century -- Exhibitions.Art, European -- 17th century -- Exhibitions.Art, European -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Art, European -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Art, European -- Classical influences -- Exhibitions.Art, European -- Classical influences.Art, European.Classical antiquities in art -- Exhibitions.Classical antiquities in art.Classicism in art -- Exhibitions.Classicism in art.Drawing -- Copying -- Exhibitions.Drawing -- Copying.Drawing, European -- Exhibitions.Drawing, European.Painting, European -- Exhibitions.Painting, European.Sculpture, Classical, in art -- Exhibitions.Sculpture, Classical, in art.
- Exhibition catalogs.