IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Cutting edge , 2019
Cutting edge : modernist British printmaking / curator: Gordon Samuel.
- London : Philip Wilson Publishers : Dulwich Picture Gallery, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 191 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNE628.4 .S26 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- "Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Cutting Edge: Modernist British Printmaking," Dulwich Picture Gallery, 19 June - 8 September 2019"--Title page verso.
"Gordon Samuel, Hana Leaper, Tracey Lock and Philip Vann have asserted their rights under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988, to be identified as Authors of this work"-- Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"The Grosvenor School of Modern Art was founded by the influential teacher, painter and wood-engraver, Iain McNab, in 1925. Situated in London's Pimlico district the school played a key role in the story of modern British printmaking between the wars. The Grosvenor School artists received critical acclaim in their time that continued until the late 1930s under the influence of Claude Flight who pioneered a revolutionary method of making the simple linocut to dynamic and colourful effect. Cyril Power, a lecturer in architecture at the school, and Sybil Andrews, the School Secretary, were two of Flight's star students. Whilst incorporating the avant-garde values of Cubism, Futurism and Vorticism, the Grosvenor School printmakers brought their own unique interpretation of the contemporary world to the medium of linocut in images that are strikingly familiar to this day and are included in the print collections of the world's major museums, including the British Museum, the MoMA New York and the Australian National Gallery."--Dust jacket.
- Subject Terms:
- Druckgrafik.Groebritannien.Grosvenor School of Modern Art.Grosvenor School of Modern Art.Linoleum block-printing, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Prints, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Prints, British.
- Exhibition catalogs.