Frank Bowling , 2019
Frank Bowling / edited by Elena Crippa.
- London, England : Tate Publishing, 2019.
New York, New York : ABRAMS, 
Italy : Printer Trento S.r.l., 
- Physical Description:
- 208 pages : color illustrations ; 28 x 24 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.B71696 A12 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (197-198) and index.
Published on the occasion of the exhibition held at Tate Britain, London, 31 May-26 August 2019--Colophon.
"Frank Bowling" : May 31-August 26, 2019, Tate Britain, London, England, United Kingdom.
"Since Frank Bowling (b.1934) started painting in the late 1950s, he has pursued a relentless exploration of the properties and possibilities of paint, experimenting with stitching, staining, pouring and dripping. Often abitious in scale, and known for its colourful and luminous quality and the layered application of paint, Bowling's work combines figuration and abstract elements and evokes autobiographical references and socio-political concerns. Beginning with his figurative work created in the early 1960s, this book explores and extraordinary career spanning over 60 years. It traces the development of Bowling's practice right up to his most recent work, illustrating the artist's interest in surface textures, the tension between geometry and organic forms, and between expansive fields of colour of unusual mediums, such as metallic pigments, fluorescent chack and acrylic gels. Bowling's contribution to modern and contemporary art, and his wide-reaching influence, are further illuminated by a combination of insightful texts and artistic voices. Featuring iconic artworks--such as the 'map paintings', the 'poured paintings', and the Great Thames paintings--alongside rarely seen works, this book is a feast of colour and texture that celebrates the quality and breadth of Bowling's remarkable work." --publisher's description, inner cover flap.
- Subject Terms:
- Bowling, Frank, 1936-Bowling, Frank, 1936- -- Criticism and interpretation.Bowling, Frank, 1936- -- Exhibitions.Bowling, Frank, 1936- -- Themes, motives.England -- London.England.Guyana.Painters, Black -- England -- London -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Painters, Black -- England -- London -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Painters, Black.Painting -- Guyana -- Exhibitions.Painting, Abstract -- England -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Painting, Abstract -- England -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Painting, Abstract.Painting, British -- England -- London -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Painting, British -- England -- London -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Painting, British.Painting.Themes, motives.
- Illustrated works.
Criticism, interpretation, etc.