Death of Abel.
- Cobridge, England, ca. 1850.
- Physical Description:
- 1 jug : relief-molded tan stoneware ; height 24 cm (including handle), width 16 cm (including handle), depth 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsParks Jug 38Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Stephen Parks, Yale BA 1961View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The bottom bears the printed mark of Edward Walley.
Without a metal lid.
Title from Henrywood.
Hughes, Kathy. Collector's guide to nineteenth-century jugs, v. 1, no. 89
Henrywood, R. K. Relief-moulded jugs, 1820-1900 figure 102
One side of the jug depicts Cain's murder of his brother Abel; the other Abel's parents grieving over his body.
- Subject Terms:
- Abel (Biblical figure)Cain (Biblical figure)Parks, Stephen -- Provenance.
- Jugs (vessels)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.