Uncle Tom's cabin.
- Hanley, England, 1853.
- Physical Description:
- 1 jug : relief-molded gray-green stoneware, glazed ; height 22 cm (including handle), width 19 cm (including handle), depth 14 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsParks Jug 61Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Stephen Parks, Yale BA 1961Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Impressed on bottom: "Published by E. Ridgway & Abington, Hanley, January 1, 1853."
Title devised by cataloger.
Henrywood, R. K. Relief-moulded jugs, 1820-1900, page 75
Decorated with the scenes of a slave auction captioned "By auction this day, a prime lot of healthy negroes" on one side and, on the other side, a woman of color with her baby being pursued by a white man with a whip. Based on Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's cabin.
- Subject Terms:
- Parks, Stephen -- Provenance.Slave trade -- United States.Slavery -- United States.Slaves -- United States.
- Jugs (vessels)
Glazed ceramic ware (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.