Pure romance , 2016
Pure romance : art and the romantic sensibility / curated by Ian Massey.
- London : Redfern Gallery, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 68 pages : color illustrations ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNX543 .P87 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition held at the Redfern Gallery, London, [2-27. February. 2016.].
The show is comprised of the work of sixteen artists: Cecil Beaton - Marc Camille Chaimowicz - Kaye Donachie - Derek Jarman - Silke Otto Knapp - Linder - Robert Medley - Elizabeth Peyton - Jack Pierson - George Platt Lynes - Patrick Procktor - Alessandro Raho - Snowdon - Pavel Tchelitchew - Keith Vaughan - Christopher Wood.
In paintings, photographs and works on paper dating from the 1920 s to the present-day, this group show traces the development of a romantic sensibility, one that is rooted in a certain strand of Englishness. Its early manifestations are found in the art and literature of Hilliard, Milton, Blake and Palmer, and in the supernatural magic of Shakespeare s A Midsummer Night s Dream and The Tempest. It finds inspiration in the conventions of theatre and the ballet, in classical form and mythology, and in visions of Arcadia. In the twentieth century it has been influenced also by the poetic fantasies of European surrealism, and the heightened artifice and glamour of Hollywood film. The work is often exemplified by painterly light and colour, and a lightness of touch both intimate and fragile.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Modern -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Art, Modern -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Romanticism in art -- Exhibitions.