Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, The works of William Hogarth,, [between 1837 and 1848]
- The works of William Hogarth, from the original plates restored by James Heath ... with the addition of many subjects not before collected: to which are prefixed, a biographical essay on the genius and productions of Hogarth, and explanations of the subjects of the plates, by John Nichols ...
- London, Printed for Baldwin & Cradock, by G. Woodfall [between 1837 and 1848]
- Physical Description:
- ix, 42 p. 151 plates (incl. front., ports.) on 116 . 66 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C N 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : Some plates originally published by the author, Robert Sayer, J. & J. Boydell, G. and J. Robinson, R. & E. Williamson, Robert Wilkinson, Carington Bowles, Rd. Livesay, John Boydell, Boydell & Co., Thos. Cook, Mrs. Hogarth, Jane Hogarth, E. Harding, and R. Cribb.
BAC : Plates etched or engraved (a few in stipple) by the author, Benj. Smith, Wm. Blake, T. Cook, Robt. Dodd, Rd. Livesey, Ravenet & Picot, Ravenet & Delatre, B. Baron, Sam. Phillips, G. Scotin, S.F. Ravenet, C. Grignion, Luke Sullivan, C. Mosley, La Cave, F. Aviline, Wm. Woollett, James Basire, F. Bartolozzi, J.K. Sherwin, Josh. Haynes, A. Fogg, W. Nutter, Leney, and J. Sympson, jr.
Plates dated 1735-1837.
Issued by Henry G. Bohn between 1837 (the date on one of the plates) and 1848 (when it was advertised in his catalogue)? For a discussion of issues, see Ronald Paulson. Hogarth's graphic works, rev. ed. New Haven, 1970, p. 72-3; and G.E. Bentley. A Blake bibliography. Minneapolis, 1964, p. 126-129.
Two "suppressed" plates--"Before" and "After"--are in a concealed pocket at end.
At foot of p. 42: "G. Norman, printer."
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.