How Turner painted : materials & techniques / Joyce H. Townsend ; [with a contribution by Tony Smibert].
- Additional Title(s):
Materials and techniques
- London ; New York : Thames & Hudson, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 168 pages : chiefly color illustrations ; 22 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 T642 2019 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 156-158) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Aesthetics.Maltechnik.Painting, British -- 19th century.Painting, British.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Aesthetics.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Criticism and interpretation.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851.Turner, Joseph Mallord William, 1775-1851.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Foreword / Nicola Moorby
- Introduction: An artist ahead of his time
- One. Innovative ways of using watercolour
- Two. Making oil paint do everything Turner wanted: Modified paint media
- Three. Finished paintings and 'Varnishing days'
- Four. Turner's toolkit: Processes for creating a composition
- Five. Paintboxes, palettes and colours in an industrial age
- Six. Working like Turner: A contemporary artist's perspective / Tony Smibert
- Seven. Changes in appearance with time: Appreciating Turner today.