How Turner painted : materials & techniques / Joyce H. Townsend ; [with a contribution by Tony Smibert].
- Additional Title(s):
Materials and techniques
- London ; New York : Thames & Hudson, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 168 pages : chiefly color illustrations ; 22 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 T642 2019 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 156-158) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Aesthetics.Maltechnik.Painting, British -- 19th century.Painting, British.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Aesthetics.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Criticism and interpretation.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851.Turner, Joseph Mallord William, 1775-1851.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Foreword / Nicola Moorby
- Introduction: An artist ahead of his time
- One. Innovative ways of using watercolour
- Two. Making oil paint do everything Turner wanted: Modified paint media
- Three. Finished paintings and 'Varnishing days'
- Four. Turner's toolkit: Processes for creating a composition
- Five. Paintboxes, palettes and colours in an industrial age
- Six. Working like Turner: A contemporary artist's perspective / Tony Smibert
- Seven. Changes in appearance with time: Appreciating Turner today.