50 treasures from Winchester College , 2019
- 50 treasures from Winchester College / edited by Richard Foster.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Fifty treasures from Winchester College
- London, UK : Scala Arts & Heritage Publishers Ltd. ; Winchester, UK : Winchester College, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 136 pages : chiefly illustrations (chiefly color) ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryN5247.W563 T74 2019 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winchester College was founded in 1382 and is one of England's oldest schools. Over the past six centuries it has accumulated remarkable collections of documents, books and works of art. This publication includes essays on fifty objects from across these collections, each written by a member of the school community. It features documents and artefacts from the early history of the College, and outstanding items from its important collections of Greek antiquities, Chinese ceramics, English silver, and rare books. Among the more unusual and unexpected objects are a ship model made by 18th century prisoners, a scrapbook from the Crimean War, and perhaps the world's longest running scientific experiment. An introductory essay describes how the collections were acquired and sets them in the context of the school's history.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- England -- Winchester -- Catalogs.Art -- Private collections.England -- Winchester.Rare books -- England -- Winchester.Winchester College -- Art collections.Winchester College.