White, Jane, Alan Caiger-Smith and the legacy of Aldermaston pottery , 2018
- Alan Caiger-Smith and the legacy of Aldermaston pottery / Jane White ; with photography by Julian Bellmont ; afterword by Alan Caiger-Smith.
- Oxford : Ashmolean Museum, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 256 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNK4085 .W45 2018 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 252) and index.
"The book features a wonderful, previously unpublished, account from Geoffrey Eastop's memoirs, about how he came to Aldermaston and helped to establish the pottery with Alan Caiger-Smith in the mid-1950s. The book tells the story of the 51 years of the Aldermaston Pottery, through the words and experiences of as many of the potters as possible, whilst also chronicling Alan's own achievements over the decades. The images also play an important part in telling the story. The book also follows the subsequent careers of the potters, and tell how they went on to make a difference, and to sustain the maiolica tradition, all over the world. As there has never been a book published that has traced the career of this important figure or the life of the pottery, or the 60 people who worked and trained there, and there are very few photographic records of this lost way of working, this book will fill that gap in the history of 20th century studio pottery"--Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Aldermaston Pottery.Caiger-Smith, Alan.Caiger-Smith, Alan.England.Pottery -- England.Pottery, English -- 21st century -- History.Pottery, English.Pottery.