Capwell, Tobias, Henry Moore , 2019
- Henry Moore : the helmet heads / Tobias Capwell & Hannah Higham.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Helmet heads
- London : Philip Wilson Publishers, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 149 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.M79 C379 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Published on the occasion of the exhibition Henry Moore: the helmet heads, the Wallace Collection, 6 March-23 June, 2019"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
The Wallace Collection hosts a major exhibition in collaboration with The Henry Moore Foundation for spring 2019 exploring the sculptor Henry Moore's fascination with armour at the Wallace Collection, an interest which fundamentally influenced his work over many years. In 1921 Moore set up his studio in Hampstead, not far from the Wallace Collection and often referred to the 'many hours' he spent here, studying armour. Here he recognised what he called 'universal organic forms.' He sensed that pieces of armour were 'objects of power', sculptural forms whose vitality flowed from their function- to protect another vulnerable structure inside of them. This richly illustrated catalogue, written by co-curators Tobas Capwell and Hannah Higham, follows the thematic structure of the exhibition and illuminates an unusual, relatively unknown, aspect of Henry Moore's work. Exhibition: The Wallace Collection, London, UK (06.03-23.06.2019).
- Subject Terms:
- Helm Motiv.Helm.Kopf Motiv.Moore, Henry, 1898-1986 -- Exhibitions.Moore, Henry, 1898-1986.Moore, Henry, 1898-1986.Plastik.
- Exhibition catalogs.