True and pure , 2016
- True and pure : Frank Dobson and Eric Gill : drawing from life / catalogue essay by Judith Collins.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Frank Dobson and Eric Gill : drawing from life
- London : Daniel Katz Limited, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 79 pages : chiefly color illustrations ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.D63 A12 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition at the Daniel Katz Gallery.
Includes bibliographical references.
Along with Gaudier-Brzeska, Epstein and Wyndham Lewis, Dobson represented the British avant-garde. In 1922 an exhibition at Paul Rosenberg's gallery in Paris on Women Bathers by Picasso had a lasting effect on him, and it was on this trip that he befriended Aristide Maillol. Despite this heritage Frank Dobson has often been seen as being separate to this pioneering force in early 20th century British art. The last major public exhibition of his work took place 35 years ago. Whilst his sculpture remains in the public consciousness and can be seen in national collections, his drawings have languished. This exhibition seeks to explore his prolific draughtsmanship and to understand the purpose of these drawings for Dobson and his sculpture. Eric Gill provides a contemporary reference point as a fellow sculptor and devotee to the female nude. The exhibition will comprise over thirty drawings and sculptures in terracotta, bronze, stone and lead by Dobson and Gill. To be accompanied by a catalogue including an essay by the foremost Eric Gill scholar Dr Judith Collins.--Gallery website.
- Subject Terms:
- Daniel Katz Ltd.Daniel Katz Ltd. -- Exhibitions.Dobson, Frank, 1886-1963 -- Exhibitions.Dobson, Frank, 1886-1963.Drawing, British -- Exhibitions.Drawing, British.Female nude in art -- Exhibitions.Female nude in art -- Pictorial works.Female nude in art.Gill, Eric, 1882-1940 -- Exhibitions.Gill, Eric, 1882-1940.Sculpture, British -- Exhibitions.Sculpture, British.
- Exhibition catalogs.