Rees-Jones, Deryn, Paula Rego , 2019
- Paula Rego : the art of story / Deryn Rees-Jones ; foreword by Marina Warner.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Art of story
- New York, NY : Thames & Hudson, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 376 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 32 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.R2543 R44 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 362-363) and index.
Paula Rego is an artist of astonishing power with a unique and unforgettable aesthetic. Taking its cues from the artist, this fascinating study invites us to reflect on the complexities of storytelling on which Rego's work draws, emphasizing both the stories the pictures tell, and how it is that they are told. Deryn Rees-Jones sets interpretations of the pictures in the context of Rego's personal and artistic development across sixty years. We see how Rego's art intersects with the work of both the literary and the visual, and come to understand her rich and textured layering of reference: her use of the Old Masters; fiction, fairy tales and poems; the folk traditions of Rego's native Portugal; and her wider engagement with politics, feminism and more. The result is a highly original work that addresses urgent and topical questions of gender, subject and object, self and other.
- Configurations (1951-1980) -- Monkeys, rabbits, girls and dogs (1981-1987) -- The story and the secret (1987-1994) -- Animations (1995-1998) -- Theatres of memory (1999-2005) -- Metamorphoses (2006-2018).
- Subject Terms:
- ART / European.Grafik.Malerei.Painting, Portuguese -- 20th century.Painting, Portuguese.Rego, Paula -- Criticism and interpretation.Rego, Paula, 1935-Rego, Paula.Women painters -- 20th century.Zeichnung.