Gothus, Olaus Joannis, 1600-1644, Marchionatus Brandenburgicus , [ca. 1681]
Marchionatus Brandenburgicus / authore Olao Iohannis Gotho, Gustavi Mag. R.S. Cosmographo.
- [Oxford] : Apud Janssonio Wesbergios, Mosem Pitt et Stephanum Swart., [ca. 1681]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 46 x 52 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2015 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale ca. 1:825,000 -- (E 10°21ʹ00ʺ--E 17°02ʹ00ʺ/N 54°42ʹ00ʺ--N 51°21ʹ00ʺ).
- "To ye Honorabse Sr. Lyonel Jenkins Judge of ye Admiralty this Mapp is Humbly Dedicated."--Dedication, at lower right.
Relief shown pictorially.
Map of the Margraviate of Brandenburg, showing settlements, woods, lakes, rivers, roads, islands, roads, political boundaries, and other topographical features.
Includes title in the decorative cartouche to the lower left with an armorial above and an allegorical woman holding keys to the right.
Includes a dedication on the decorative cartouche to the lower right with an armorial above and putti to the left and right.
Included in the English atlas of Janssonius van Waesbergen, Moses Pitt and Steven Swart.
Titled 'Marchionatus Brandenburgicus. Auth. Olao J. Gotho.' in the Catalogue of Maps, Prints, Drawings, etc., forming the geographical and topographical collection attached to the Library of his late Majesty King George the third, etc., London, 1829.
British Museum, Catalogue of Maps, Prints, Drawings, etc., forming the geographical and topographical collection attached to the Library of his late Majesty King George the third, etc., London, 1829
BAC: British Art Center copy is bound en plano (unfolded) as map 71 in part 1 of a composite atlas issued by Nicolaes Visscher with title: Atlas minor, sive, Geographia compendiosa, ca. 1716 (Folio C 2015 1) (the numbering written in black ink at top right). Hand-colored, with use of gold.
- Subject Terms:
- Brandenburg (Germany) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Poland -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Pomerania (Poland and Germany) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1681.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.