Goodwin, Francis, 1784-1835, Cottage architecture , 1835
- Cottage architecture : being a supplement to the first [-second] series of Goodwin's Rural architecture, lately published : this supplement contains designs of peasants' cottages, both plain and ornamental, separate and in groups, gate lodges, small dairy farm houses, &c. with specifications and estimates of each design : the whole planned and carefully revised in aid of the improving state of rural economy / by Francis Goodwin.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Rural architecture
Supplement to Goodwin's rural architecture
- London : Printed for the author, and published by John Weale, Architectural Library, (Late Taylor's,) No. 50, High Holborn, 1835.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7328 .G665 1835+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7328 .G66 1833+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "These two supplements were printed for inclusion in the reissue of 'Domestic Architecture' as 'Rural Architecture' in 1835. They were also issued separately ..., probably with the intention of producing both a discrete publication and a supplementary volume for those who had purchased copied of 'Domestic Architecture' in 1833 and 1834. As issued here, the sheets and plates were bound up in publisher's cloth, with the cover title: "Supplement to Goodwin's Rural Architecture"--British Architectural Library
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 90.1
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1248
BAC: British Art Center NA7328 .G665 1835+ copy is bound 2 v. in 1, in publisher's original blind- and gilt-stamped purple cloth. Cover title: Supplement to Godwin's rural architecture. Labels pasted inside front cover: Thomas Thorn, builder, plasterer & modeller. Has laid in:  Lithograph titled "Gothic Bridge" and signed "Meggy & Chalk, lithog., Chelmsford";  amateur drawing, in pen and brown ink, showing a simple elevation of a cottage (at top) and a plan of the same (at bottom).
BAC: British Art Center NA7328 .G66 1833+ Copy 2 copy bound in as supplements to: Domestic architecture / Francis Goodwin (London : W. Bohn, 1833-1834).
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Designs and plans.Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Cottages -- Great Britain -- Designs and plans.Farmhouses -- Great Britain -- Designs and plans.Thorn, Thomas -- Provenance.Weale, John -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- 1835
Engravings -- 1835.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.