Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851, Conversations with Turner , 2019
Conversations with Turner : the watercolors / edited by Nicholas R. Bell.
- Additional Title(s):
Conversations with Turner : the watercolours
- First edition.
- Milano, Italy : Skira, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 203 pages : color illustrations ; 27 x 31 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 A12 2019a (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references.
"This volume has been published under the auspices of: Mystic Seaport Museum in cooperation with Tate, London on the occasion of the exhibition J. M. W. Turner: Watercolors from Tate, Mystic Seaport Museum, October 5, 2019-February 23, 2020."--Copyright page.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, British -- 19th century.Painting, British -- 19th century.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Aesthetics.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Forewords / Stephen C. White & Maria Balshaw
- Introduction: conversing with a master / Nicholas R. Bell
- From Turner's Studio: studies for his own eyes / David Blayney Brown
- The force of water: understanding Turner through watercolor / Timothy Barringer, Susan Grace Galassi, Olivier Meslay, Scott Wilcox
- From architecture to landscape: early work
- Caernarvon Castle: time and memory in the Welsh landscape / Alexander Nemerov, Sam Smiles
- Nature and the ideals: England c. 1805-15
- Fluid Britain: social and technological change in Turner's watercolors / Glenn Adamson, Elizabeth Halsinger, William S. Rodner
- Home and abroad: 1815-30
- Petworth, an aside / Timothy Barringer, Olivier Meslay
- Light and color
- The annual tourist: 1830-40
- My fellow traveler: witnessing Turner's seas / John Akombrah, CBE
- Turner and the sea
- Master and magician: late work
- Turnerworld: perspectives from the contemporary / Amy Concannon, Ellen Harvey, Mariana Marchesi, Katie Paterson, Victoria Pomery, OBE
- Oil and water / David Blayney Brown.