Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851, Conversations with Turner , 2019
Conversations with Turner : the watercolors / edited by Nicholas R. Bell.
- Additional Title(s):
Conversations with Turner : the watercolours
- First edition.
- Milano, Italy : Skira, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 203 pages : color illustrations ; 27 x 31 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 A12 2019a (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references.
"This volume has been published under the auspices of: Mystic Seaport Museum in cooperation with Tate, London on the occasion of the exhibition J. M. W. Turner: Watercolors from Tate, Mystic Seaport Museum, October 5, 2019-February 23, 2020."--Copyright page.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, British -- 19th century.Painting, British -- 19th century.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Aesthetics.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Forewords / Stephen C. White & Maria Balshaw
- Introduction: conversing with a master / Nicholas R. Bell
- From Turner's Studio: studies for his own eyes / David Blayney Brown
- The force of water: understanding Turner through watercolor / Timothy Barringer, Susan Grace Galassi, Olivier Meslay, Scott Wilcox
- From architecture to landscape: early work
- Caernarvon Castle: time and memory in the Welsh landscape / Alexander Nemerov, Sam Smiles
- Nature and the ideals: England c. 1805-15
- Fluid Britain: social and technological change in Turner's watercolors / Glenn Adamson, Elizabeth Halsinger, William S. Rodner
- Home and abroad: 1815-30
- Petworth, an aside / Timothy Barringer, Olivier Meslay
- Light and color
- The annual tourist: 1830-40
- My fellow traveler: witnessing Turner's seas / John Akombrah, CBE
- Turner and the sea
- Master and magician: late work
- Turnerworld: perspectives from the contemporary / Amy Concannon, Ellen Harvey, Mariana Marchesi, Katie Paterson, Victoria Pomery, OBE
- Oil and water / David Blayney Brown.