History of illustration , 2019
History of illustration / Susan Doyle, editor, Jaleen Grove, associate editor, Whitney Sherman, associate editor.
- New York : Fairchild Books, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- xxxvii, 554 pages : illustrations (some color), color map ; 31 cm
- Reference LibraryNC998 .H46 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 508-525) and index.
"History of Illustration covers image-making and print history from around the world, spanning from the ancient to the postmodern. Compiled by an international team of illustration historians, practitioners, and educators, this exploration of the topic presents nearly 900 color images to survey and critically analyze the communicative aspects of sacred, editorial, literary, fashion, medical, advertising, children's book, sequential, and other kinds of illustration. Organized both chronologically and thematically, this book empowers understanding of the technical and artistic qualities, social and cultural relevance, and controversies of these media images in our lives."--Back cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- History.Art and society.Graphic arts -- History.Graphic arts.Illustration of books -- History.Illustration of books.Illustrators.Magazine illustration -- History.Magazine illustration.Visual communication.Visual communication.
- I. Illustrative traditions from around the world. Image and Meaning, Prehistory : 1500 CE / by Robert Brinkerhoff and Margot McIlwin Nishimura ; Illustration in Printed Matter in Early Modern Europe, 1400-1660 / by Susan Doyle ; Pluralistic View of Indian Images : Second century BCE-1990s / by Binita Desai and Nina Sabnani ; Illustrative Traditions in the Muslim Context, 1200-1900 / by Irvin Cemil Schick ; Chinese Illustration, 100 CE-1900 / by Sonja Kelley and Frances Wood ; Prints and Books in Japan's Floating World, 1600-1900 / by Daphne Rosenzweig with contributions by Susan Doyle ; Illustration in Latin America, Pre-Columbian Era-1950 / by Maya Stanfield-Mazzi with contributions by R.W. Lovejoy ; Illustration in the African Context, Prehistory-Early 2000s / by Bolaji Campbell
- II. Images as knowledge, ideas as power. Observation and the Representation of Natural Science Illustration 1450-1900 / by Shelley Wall ; Visualizing Bodies : Anatomical and Medical Illustration from the Renaissance to the nineteenth century, / by Shelley Wall ; Dangerous Pictures : Social Commentary in Europe, 1720-1860 / by Robert Lovejoy ; From Reason to Romanticism in European print, 1619-1820 / by Hope Saska with contributions by Susan Doyle
- III. The Advent of mass media. Illustration on British and North American printed ephemera, 1800-1910 / by Graham Hudson ; Illustration in Graphic Journalism, and Magazine Fiction in Europe and North America, 1830-1900 / by Brian Kane and Page Knox ; Beautifying Books and Popularizing Posters in Europe and America, 1855-1910 / by Susan Ashbrook and Alison Syme ; British Fantasy and Children's Book Illustration, 1650-1920 / by Alice Carter ; Six Centuries of Fashion Illustration, 1540-Early 2000s / by Pamela Parmal
- IV. Diverging paths in twentieth century American and European illustration. American Narratives : Periodical Illustration, 1840-1930 / by Mary Holahan with contributions by Alice Carter and Joyce Schiller, Jaleen Grove, Page Knox ; Avant-garde Illustration, 1900-1950 / by Jaleen Grove ; Diverse American Illustration Trends, 1915-1940 / by Roger Reed with contributions by Jaleen Grove ; Wartime Imagery and Propaganda, 1890-1950 / by Thomas LaPadula ; Alternate Realities in Pulps and Other Popular Fiction, 1490-Early 2000s / by Nicholas Egon Jainschigg with contributions by Robert Lovejoy ; Overview of Comics and Graphic Narratives, 1830-2012 / by Brian M. Kane with contributions by Loren Goodman and Michelle Nolan
- V. The evolution of illustration in an electronic age. The Shifting Postwar Marketplace : Illustration in the United States and Canada, 1940-1970 / by Stephanie Plunkett with contributions by Jaleen Grove ; Children's Book Illustration, 1920-2000 / by H. Nichols B. Clark with contributions by Whitney Sherman ; Countercultures : Underground Comix, Rock Posters and Protest Art, 1960-1990 / by Robert W. Lovejoy ; Print Illustration in the Postmodern World, 1970-Early 2000s / by Whitney Sherman ; Medical Illustration after Gray's Anatomy : 1859-Early 2000s / by David M. Mazierski ; Digital Forms / by Nanette Hoogslag and Whitney Sherman with contributions by Brian M. Kane