Lucian Freud , 
- Lucian Freud : the self-portraits.
- Alternate Title(s):
- London : Royal Academy of Arts, 
New York : ARTBOOK/D.A.P., [date of distribution not identified]
- Physical Description:
- 150 pages : chiefly color illustrations, portraits ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.F914 A12 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Published in conjunction with an exhibition held at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, 27 October 2019 - 26 January 2020 and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston from 1 March - 25 May 2020.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 146-147) and index.
In 1964 Lucian Freud set his students at the Norwich College of Art an assignment: to paint naked self-portraits and to make them revealing, telling, believable ... really shameless. It was advice that the artist was often to follow himself. Visceral, unflinching and often nude, Freud's self-portraits chart his biography and give us an insight into the development of his style. These paintings provide the viewer with a constant reminder of the artist's overwhelming presence, whether he is confronting the viewer directly or only present as a shadow or in a reflection. Freud's exploration of the self-portrait is unexpected and wide-ranging. In this volume, essays by leading authorities, including those who knew him, explore Freud's life and work, and analyze the importance of self-portraiture in his practice. Exhibition: Royal Academy of Arts, London, UK (27.10.2019-26.01.2020) / Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, USA (22.02.-25.05.2020).
- Subject Terms:
- 20.30 history of art: general.20.30 history of art: general.Freud, Lucian -- Self-portraits -- Exhibitions.Freud, Lucian, 1922-2011.Freud, Lucian.Painting, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Painting, British -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Painting, British.Selbstbildnis.Self-portraits, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Self-portraits, British -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Self-portraits, British.