A catalogue of a collection of twenty English pictures, of high merit and great importance, being a portion of the well-known collection of Charles Birch, esq. of Westfield House, Edgbaston, near Birmingham, whose cabinet of British art has justly obtained a more than local celebrity : including Waiting for the deer to rise, by Sir Edwin Landseer, R. A. : Alfred in the Danish Camp, by D. Baclise : The Lock, by ... J.M.W. Turner : A Pyrenean Pass, with smugglers, C. Stanfield, R. A. : Spezzia Bay by ... Sir Augustus Calcot, R. A. : The first ear ring by ... Sir David Wilkie, R.A., engraved : Beating for recruits, by Thomas Webster, R. A. : The Lock, by ... J. Consable, R. A. : The Mountain Pass, by P. F. Poole, A.R.A. : Dolly Varden, by W. P. Frith, R.A. : The Tambourine Player, by J. Uwine, R.S. : A Golden Landscape, Linnell : ... The Fleur De Lis, by ... William Etty, R.A. : Which will be sold by auction, by Messrs. Foster and Son, at the Gallery, 54, Pall Mall, on Thursday, February 15th, 1855, at two precisely.
- Additional Title(s):
At head of title: Pall Mall. Twenty modern pictures by the First Masters
- London : R. Clay, Printer, Bread Street Hill, 1855.
- Physical Description:
- 18,  pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N4 v. 1 no. 31Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 22257
Date of sale: February 15, 1855.
Place of sale: London
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 31 of 34 auctions catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary quarter roan; with the armorial bookplates of the Earl of Normanton and Rupert Gunnis; with a manuscript index on the volumes's catalogs on the front end papers. Paged continuously with Catalogue of a collection of pictures, the works of first-class living artists Thursday, the 15th of February, 1855 .., at three o'clock in the afternoon. [N8640.N4 no. 1 v. 30]
- Subject Terms:
- Agar, James Charles Herbert Welbore Ellis, Earl of Normanton, 1818-1896 -- Bookplate.Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art -- Private collections.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Birch, Charles, active 1855 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Birch, Charles.Callcott, Augustus Wall, 1779-1844, artist.Clay, Richard, 1789-1877, printer.Constable, John, 1776-1837, artist.Etty, William, 1787-1849, artist.Frith, William Powell, 1819-1909, artist.Gunnis, Rupert -- Bookplate.Landseer, Edwin, Sir, 1802-1873, artist.Linnell, John, 1792-1882, artist.Maclise, Daniel, 1806-1870, artist.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Painting, English.Poole, Paul Falconer, 1807-1879, artist.Stanfield, Clarkson, 1793-1867, artist.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851, artist.Uwins, Thomas, 1782-1857, artist.Webster, Thomas, 1800-1886, artist.Wilkie, David, Sir, 1785-1841, artist.
- Auction catalogs.
YCBA Collections Search
Foster and Son (London, England), A catalogue of a collection of twenty English pictures, of high merit and great importance, being a portion of the well-known collection of Charles Birch, esq. of Westfield House, Edgbaston, near Birmingham, whose cabinet of British art has justly obtained a more than local celebrity , 1855
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.