A lady's ticket for the anniversary sermon of the Small Pox Hospital : to be preach'd by the Right Revd. the Lord Bishop of Worcester, at St. Andrew's Church, Holbourn, on Thursday the 5th of March, 1752 ... there will be a full band of vocal and instrumental musick by the first performers, to accompany the service at church.
- [London] : [publisher not identified], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : etching, engraving ; plate mark 10 x 13 cm, on sheet 12 x 16 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsRA644.S6 L33 1752 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The event was described by the London Magazine, March 5, 1752: "Was preached at St. Andrew's Holborn, before the Governor of the Small-Pox Hospital, an excellent sermon, by the Right Rev. the lord bishop of Worcester [Isaac Maddox]; at which were present the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Duke of Marlborough, the Earl of Northumberland, Lord Viscount Gage, Lord Parker, Sir William Beauchamp Proctor, Sir William Calvert, and several other governors, and about 3,000 ladies. There was a very fine performance of musick vocal and instrumental, by about 70 performers. There was collected at the Church £225. 16s. and the collection at the hall after dinner, and several benefactors then given so that charity, with what was received at the church, amounted to £820 and upwards." The same year, the London Smallpox Hospital moved to a more spacious building at Bath Fields, Clerkenwall, with 130 beds in six wards.
Title from item.
Includes list of 10 stewards, printed in two columns.
Printed in red ink, with wax seal, initialled by the clerk "RR: Clk."
- Subject Terms:
- Fund raising -- Great Britain.Hospitals -- England -- London.Hospitals for the Small-pox and Inoculation (London, England)Maddox, Isaac, 1697-1759.Medicine, Preventive.Sermons, English.Smallpox -- Great Britain -- Prevention.Smallpox -- Vaccination.Vaccination -- History.
Engravings -- 1752.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
A lady's ticket for the anniversary sermon of the Small Pox Hospital , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.