A voyage round the world : but more particularly to the north-west coast of America: performed in 1785, 1786, 1787, and 1788, in the King George and Queen Charlotte, Captains Portlock and Dixon : embellished with twenty copper-plates : dedicated, by permission, to His Majesty / by Captain Nathaniel Portlock.
- London : Printed for John Stockdale, opposite Burlington-House, Piccadilly : and George Goulding, James Street, Covent Garden, MDCCLXXIX 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 384, xl pages,  leaves of plates (some folded) : illustrations, maps ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG420.P67 .P67 1789+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Another account of the voyage was published the same year, with almost the same title, claiming to be by Captain George Dixon, but in fact by William Beresford, and edited by Dixon.
Engravings by P. Mazell, W. Harrison, J. Reid, Longmate, and W. Shirwin after Dodd, Dixon, J. Woodcock, and J. Hogan.
Signatures: A⁴ a² A-3C⁴ (A)-(E)⁴ [$2 ( -a2) signed].
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: Jacobus Yorke.
BEIN Copy 1: Eberstadt no. III-205.
BEIN Copy 2: In this copy the front. and 9 plates exist in two states, proof and final; the proofs of the colored plates are uncolored. Eberstadt no. III-204.
BEIN Copy 3: Plates uncolored. Portlock's own copy.
Account of Voyage sponsored by the King George's Sound Company, to secure furs on N.W. America coast. Both Dixon & Portlock went with Cook on his 3rd voyage.
- Subject Terms:
- Borden, Robert Laird, Sir, 1854-1937 -- Bookplate.Fur trade -- Northwest Coast of North America.Indians of North America -- Northwest Coast of North America.King George (Ship)Northwest Coast of North America -- Discovery and exploration.Portlock, Nathaniel, 1748?-1817 -- Bookplate.Portlock, Nathaniel, 1748?-1817 -- Diaries.Portlock, Nathaniel, 1748?-1817 -- Travel.Queen Charlotte (Ship)Voyages around the world -- Early works to 1800.Yorke, Jacob -- Bookplate.Zoology -- Early works to 1800.
Engravings -- 1789.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1789.
- Plates: Head of Captain Portlock
- General chart --Views of Bonavista, etc.
- Yellow-winged bunting
- Rusty crown'd plover, male
- Rusty crown'd plover, female (the bird looking over its back)
- Cinerous lark
- Graham's Harbour
- View in Coal Harbour
- Basket and God
- Sketch of M'leod's Harbour
- Sketch of west side of Montague Island
- Sketch of Port Etches
- Portlock's and Goulding's Harbour
- View in Goulding's Harbour
- Knives and comb
- White tern
- View in Sapan
- Head of Tyaana.