Franklin, John, Sir, 1786-1847, Narrative of a journey to the shores of the polar sea , 1823
- Narrative of a journey to the shores of the polar sea : in the years 1819, 20, 21, and 22 / by John Franklin, captain R.N., F.R.S. ... ; with an appendix on various subjects relating to science and natural history ; illustrated by numerous plates and maps.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Franklin's Journey to the polar sea
Journey to the polar sea
- London : John Murray, Albemarle-Street, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- xv, , 784 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1819 .F8+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, on publisher's printed label. Franklin's Journey to the polar sea. Thirty-four plates and maps. £4 4s.
Engravings by Edward Francis Finden and Joseph Swan, ; after Robert Hood, Sir Geroge Back, and J. Curtis.
Maps engraved by John Walker.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 635
Eberstadt, no. II-172.
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 255, 336
"Account of the Cree Indians": p. 59-86;" Geognostical observations": p. 497-538; "Zoological appendix": p. 647-703; "Notices of the fishes": p. 705-728; "Botanical appendix": p. 729-768.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original brown moiré cloth, with publisher's printed spine label.
- Subject Terms:
- Arctic regions.Cree Indians.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1823.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1823.Natural history -- Northwest, Canadian.Northwest, Canadian -- Description and travel.Scientific expeditions.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1823.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.