Voyages made in the years 1788 and 1789, from China to the North West coast of America : to which are prefixed, an introductory narrative of a voyage performed in 1786, from Bengal, in the ship Nootka : observations on the probable existence of a North West Passage : and some account of the trade between the North West Coast of America and China; and the latter country and Great Britain / by John Meares, Esq.
- London : Printed at the Logographic Press, and sold by J. Walter, No 169, Piccadilly, opposite Old Bond Street, MDCCXC 
- Physical Description:
- viii, , xcv, , 372,  pages, ( leaves of plates,  folded) : illustrations, maps ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF879 .M43 1790+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- William Combes assisted Meares in the compilation of this work. Cf. Abbey.
Engravings by Charles Bestland, Joseph Saunders, Robert Pollard, and John Wells; after William Beechey, T. S. Parry, John Meares, Thomas Stothard, and C. M. Metz.
A second edition, in two volumes was published in 1791.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 594
ESTC (RLIN), T98966
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary mottled calf, rebacked. Bookplate: George Finch.
- Subject Terms:
- China -- Commerce -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.China -- Commerce -- Northwest Coast of North America -- Early works to 1800.Finch, George -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Commerce -- China -- Early works to 1800.Indians of North America -- Northwest Coast of North America -- Early works to 1800.Indians of North America -- Pacific Coast.Nootka (Ship)Northwest Coast of North America -- Commerce -- China -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Coast of North America -- Discovery and exploration -- British -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Coast of North America -- Discovery and exploration -- British -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Passage -- Early works to 1800.Pacific Ocean -- Early works to 1800.Vancouver Island (B.C.) -- Discovery and exploration -- British -- Early works to 1800.
- Travel literature -- England -- London -- 1790.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1790.
Stipple engravings -- 1790.
Engravings -- 1790.
Aquatints -- 1790.
- Plates: A chart of the Northern Pacific Ocean
- Interior part of North America
- Chart of the N.W. Coast of America and N.E. Coast of Asia
- Sketch of Friendly Cove in Nootka Sound
- Sketch of Port Cox in the District of Wicananish
- A plan of Port Effingham in Berkley's Sound
- A view of Otter Sound
- A plan of Sea Otter Harbour and St Patricks Bay
- A view of Port Meares
- A sketch of Raft Cove
- John Meares Esqr.
- A view of the entrance of the Bocca Tigris, leading to Canton
- View of Tiger Island, situated in the River of Bocca Tigris
- Tianna, a Prince of Atoor, one of the Sandwich Islands
- Views of the land on the Philipine Islands, to the Southward of Manilla
- Wynee, a native of Owyhee, one of the Sandwich Island
- Bashee Islands
- Jonstones Island. Free Wills Isles. Tatee Isles. Continuation of the Tatee Isles. The new discov'd Sandwich Island
- Lots Wife when taken for a sail. Lots Wife
- View of the Land in 49.3N. Port Effingham. Nootka Sound
- Callicum and Maquilla, Chiefs of Nootka Sound
- Entrance of the Strait of John de Fuca
- The country of New Albion
- The launch of the North West America at Nootka Sound
- A view of the City of Macao
- Peak of Lantao, near the entrance of the Bocca Tigris
- Two headed Point Island of Kodick Douglass Island
- Land in Cooks River & Comptollers Bay. Land near Cape Douglass in Cooks River. Continuation of the view near Cape Douglass. Kays Island.