Beechey, Frederick William, 1796-1856, Narrative of a voyage to the Pacific and Beering's strait , MDCCCXXXI 
- Narrative of a voyage to the Pacific and Beering's strait : to co-operate with the polar expeditions : performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F.W. Beechey, R.N. F.R.S., F.R.A.S., and F.R.G.S in the years 1825, 26, 27, 28 : published by authority of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty : in two parts.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Spine title, on publisher's printed labels: Beechey's voyage to the Pacific
Voyage to the Pacific
- London : Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley, New Burlington Street, MDCCCXXXI 
London : Printed by Thomas Davison, Whitefriars
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1825 B44+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Frederick William Beechey describes his voyage in 1825-1828 to the Bering Strait, where he was to meet the explorers Sir John Franklin and Sir Edward Parry if they succeeded in finding the North-West Passage. Volume 1 records Beechey's outward journey, including visits to Pitcairn Island, where he met the last surviving Bounty mutineer and documented his story; Tahiti, and Hawai'i, and his first season exploring the Bering Strait. Volume 2 follows the expedition from California via China to its second Arctic summer, and includes a vocabulary of Eskimo words, notes on harbours and navigation, and a description of the northern lights.
Engravings by Edward Finden; after Beechey and W. Smyth. Maps engraved by J.&C. Walker. Some lithographs printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel.
Paged continuously: pt. I: xxi,  p., 1 l., 392 p.; pt. II: vii, , -742 pages. 23 plates and 3 maps (2 folded, including frontispiece)
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 4347
BEIN: Imperfect: half-titles wanting.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's brown boards, with printed spine labels. Tipped in at end of volume 1: New works published by Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley, New Burlington Street. London, January 1831. 16 pages ; 23 cm. Errata slip tipped into volume 2.
- Subject Terms:
- Arctic regions.Bering Sea.Bering Strait.Blossom (Ship)California -- Description and travel.Oceania.Pacific Ocean.San Francisco (Calif.) -- Description and travel.Scientific expeditions.Voyages and travels -- Pacific Area.
- Engravings -- 1831.
Lithographs -- 1831.
Steel engravings -- 1831.
Errata slips (Printing)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.