Account of an expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains, performed in the years 1819 and 1820 , 1823
- Account of an expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains, performed in the years 1819 and 1820 : by order of the Hon. J.C. Calhoun, Secretary of War, under the command of Maj. S.H. Long, of the U.S. Top. Engineers : compiled from the notes of Major Long, Mr. T. Say, and other gentlemen of the party / by Edwin James, botanist and geologist to the expedition ; in three volumes.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-Row, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : ill., map ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF592 .A23 1823 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsF592 .A23 1823 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIN Zc20 822jab Copies 1 and 2: Plates in copies 1 and 2 are bound in different order.
BEIN Zc20 822jab Copy 3: Pages 213-214, 247, 248 in v. 1 and, p. 59-60 in v. 2 are cancels. All plates uncolored.
BEIN Zc20 822jab Copy 4: Both cancel and cancelled pages for v. 1, p. 213-214, 247, 248, and v. 2, p. 59-60 are bound in; the cancels, and p. 277-278 for v. 1 are bound in v. 1 between p. 224 and 225. Only 5 plates, all uncolored, are included: 3 are the new plates as described in Wagner; the others are "Oto council", and "Distant view of the Rocky Mts." Fronts. 2-3, and p. 165-172 of v. 3 lacking.
Half-title: An expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains.
Aquatint engravings by J. Clark, after Samuel Seymour.
Map engraved by Sidney Hall.
Printed by A. & R. Spottiswoode, New-Street-Square.
For collation of plates, see Wagner, H.R. The Plains and the Rockies ... 1921, p. 95.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 650
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-tooled speckled calf. Vol. 1-3 lack half-titles. Copy 2 bound in original boards.
- Subject Terms:
- A. & R. Spottiswoode -- Printer.Geology -- West (U.S.)Indians of North America -- West (U.S.)Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown -- Publisher.Ohio River -- Description and travel.Rocky Mountains -- Description and travel.United States -- Exploring expeditions.West (U.S.) -- Description and travel.
- Aquatints -- 1823.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.