Account of an expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains, performed in the years 1819 and 1820 : by order of the Hon. J.C. Calhoun, Secretary of War, under the command of Maj. S.H. Long, of the U.S. Top. Engineers : compiled from the notes of Major Long, Mr. T. Say, and other gentlemen of the party / by Edwin James, botanist and geologist to the expedition ; in three volumes.
- Additional Title(s):
Expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-Row, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : ill., map ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF592 .A23 1823 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsF592 .A23 1823 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIN Zc20 822jab Copies 1 and 2: Plates in copies 1 and 2 are bound in different order.
BEIN Zc20 822jab Copy 3: Pages 213-214, 247, 248 in v. 1 and, p. 59-60 in v. 2 are cancels. All plates uncolored.
BEIN Zc20 822jab Copy 4: Both cancel and cancelled pages for v. 1, p. 213-214, 247, 248, and v. 2, p. 59-60 are bound in; the cancels, and p. 277-278 for v. 1 are bound in v. 1 between p. 224 and 225. Only 5 plates, all uncolored, are included: 3 are the new plates as described in Wagner; the others are "Oto council", and "Distant view of the Rocky Mts." Fronts. 2-3, and p. 165-172 of v. 3 lacking.
Half-title: An expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains.
Aquatint engravings by J. Clark, after Samuel Seymour.
Map engraved by Sidney Hall.
Printed by A. & R. Spottiswoode, New-Street-Square.
For collation of plates, see Wagner, H.R. The Plains and the Rockies ... 1921, p. 95.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 650
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-tooled speckled calf. Vol. 1-3 lack half-titles. Copy 2 bound in original boards.
- Subject Terms:
- A. & R. Spottiswoode -- Printer.Geology -- West (U.S.)Indians of North America -- West (U.S.)Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown -- Publisher.Ohio River -- Description and travel.Rocky Mountains -- Description and travel.United States -- Exploring expeditions.West (U.S.) -- Description and travel.
- Aquatints -- 1823.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1823.
YCBA Collections Search
Account of an expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains, performed in the years 1819 and 1820 , 1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.