Account of an expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains : performed in the years 1819 and '20, by order of the Hon. J.C. Calhoun, Sec'y of War ; under the command of Major Stephen H. Long : from the notes of Major Long, Mr. T. Say, and other gentlemen of the exploring party / compiled by Edwin James, botanist and geologist for the expedition ; in two vols., with an atlas.
- Additional Title(s):
Major Long's Expedition to the Rocky Mountains
Expedition to the Rocky Mountains
- Philadelphia : H.C. Carey and I. Lea, Chesnut St., 1822-1823.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes ; 25-30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF592 .J36 1822 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Zc20 +822ja)
- Spine title, on publisher's printed labels: Major Long's Expedition to the Rocky Mountains.
Engravings by Young & Delleker, Cephas Grien Childs, Alexander Lawson, Francis Kearney, and William Hay; after Stephen H. Long, Samuel Seymour and Titian Ramsay Peale.
Some maps on double leaves.
Text and atlas in slipcase.
BEIN: Bookplate of Joseph Y. Jeanes.
GEO: Atlas wanting, no slipcase.
BAC: British Art Center copy complete with atlas. Bound in publisher's original tan boards. Inscribed: Maine Charity School from Mrs. Lord.
- Subject Terms:
- Discoveries in geography.Geology -- West (U.S.)Glossaries, vocabularies, etc.Indians of North America -- Languages -- Glossaries, vocabularies, etc.Indians of North America.Jeanes, Joseph Y. -- Bookplate.Lord, Mrs. -- Pres. insc. from Maine Charity School.Maine Charity School -- Pres. insc. from Mrs. Lord.Missouri River -- Discovery and exploration.Ohio River -- Discovery and exploration.United States -- Discovery and exploration.West (U.S.) -- Discovery and exploration.
Engravings -- 1822-1823.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1822-1823.
Steel engravings -- 1822-1823.
YCBA Collections Search
James, Edwin, 1797-1861, Account of an expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains , 1822-1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.