Beresford, William, active 1788, A voyage round the world , 1789
- A voyage round the world : but more particularly to the north-west coast of America : performed in 1785, 1786, 1787, and 1788, in the King George and Queen Charlotte, Captains Portlock and Dixon / by Captain George Dixon.
- London : Published by Geo. Goulding, Haydn's Head, No. 6, James Street, Covent Garden, 1789.
- Physical Description:
- xxix [i.e., 27], , 360, 47,  pages,  leaves of plates (some folded) : illustrations, maps ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG420.P67 B5 1789+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- A series of 49 letters signed "W.B." (William Beresford), supercargo on board the Queen Charlotte; edited, with introduction and 2 appendices, by George Dixon.
Captain Nathaniel Portlock also published an account of the voyage in 1789, with almost the same title
Includes account of a visit to Hawaii. Appendices contain natural history and tables of the route of the King George and Queen Charlotte, with the variation of the compass and meteorological observations during the voyage.
Engravings by William Harrison, (Inigo?) Barlow, J. Reid, Peter Mazell, and A. Birrell; after James (?) Hogan, George Dixon, William Lewin, Edward Francis Burney.
"Appendix no. I. National history": pages 353-360.
"Appendix no. II. Tables of the route of the King George and Queen Charlotte": 47 pages at end.
BEIN Copy 1: Large paper copy (31 cm.) with the natural history plates colored. Imperfect: half-title wanting.
BEIN Copy 2: 30 cm. with uncolored plates.
BEIN Copy 3: 28 cm. with uncolored plates. In this copy errata listed on errata leaf have been corrected in ink in the text. Hunter, Robert, of Thurston, bookplate.
BEIN Copy 4: 29 cm., all plates uncolored.
FRANKLIN: This copy has the 7 col. plates. Imperfect: half-title wanting.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in tree calf; rebacked. Plates are uncolored.
- Plates: The chart -- Sketch of a bay south side of Whahoo -- A view in the Bay of Whahoo -- A view of the volcano in Cook's River -- Views of Cape St. Hermogenes, Staten's Land, and Montague Island -- Sketch of Port Mulgrave -- Ditto of Norfolk Sound -- The Dish and Daggers -- View of Cape Edgecumbe -- Sketch of Port Banks -- View of Hippah Island -- The Lip-piece and Spoon -- View of Cape St. James, &c. -- The woman from Queen Charlotte's Isles -- The Indian's Song -- Cancer Raninus -- Ditto ditto -- Apex Fulva -- Yellow Tufted Bee-Eater -- White Winged Cross-Bill -- Patagonian Warbler -- Jocose Shrike.
- Subject Terms:
- Beresford, William, active 1788 -- Diaries.Beresford, William, active 1788 -- Travel.Gordonsmith, C. -- Bookplate.King George (Ship)Natural history -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Coast of North America -- Description and travel.Portlock, Nathaniel, 1748?-1817.Queen Charlotte (Ship)Shuckforth, D. -- Autograph.Voyages around the world -- Early works to 1800.Zoology -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1789.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.