Ross, John, Sir, 1777-1856, A voyage of discovery , 1819
- A voyage of discovery : made under the orders of the Admiralty, in His Majesty's ships Isabella and Alexander, for the purpose of exploring Baffin's Bay, and inquiring into the probability of a north-west passage / by John Ross, K.S. Captain Royal Navy.
- London : John Murray, Albemarle Street, 1819.
- Physical Description:
- , xxxix, , 252, cxliv p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1818 R67+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrations by Daniel Havell, Robert Havell, J. Walker and Thomas Lewin; after Alexander Motz Skene, Sir John Ross, Henry Parkins Hoppner and J. Stevenson Bushnan.
Printed by W. Clowes, Northumberland-Court, Strand.
"A second edition in two volumes was published by Longmans in the same year at ℓ1.1s in boards, without most of the illustrations. A French edition was published in Paris, 1819; German edition, Jena, 1819, and Leipzig, 1820; and a Dutch edition, The Hague, 1821. Ross's 'Narrative of a second voyage in search of a North West Passage', was published in 1835"--Cf. Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 634
National Maritime Museum. Library. Voyages and travel. V. 1. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1968, 818
Appendixes, of scientific observations and reports, cxliv p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half morocco. Has armorial bookplate of George Giles.
- Subject Terms:
- Alexander (Ship)Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Baffin Bay (North Atlantic Ocean) -- Discovery and exploration.Clowes, W. -- Printer.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1819.Giles, George -- Bookplate.Holland House -- Bookplate. (bein)Isabella (Ship : 1818-1834)Murray, J. -- Publisher.Northwest Passage -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Stipple engraving -- Specimen -- 1819.
- Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- 1819.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.