Narrative of a second expedition to the shores of the Polar Sea, in the years 1825, 1826, and 1827 / by John Franklin ... ; including an account of the progress of a detachment to the eastward, by John Richardson ... ; illustrated by numberous plates and maps.
- Additional Title(s):
Franklin's second journey to the Polar Sea
Second journey to the Polar Sea
- London : John Murray, Albemarle-Street, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, [xxi]-xxiv, 320, clvii,  p., 31,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1825 F8+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, on publisher's printed label: Franklin's second journey to the Polar Sea. Thirty seven plates. £4 : 4s.
Engravings by Edward Francis Finden; after George Back and Edward Nicholas Kendall.
Maps engraved by John Walker and J. & C. Walker.
Printed by William Clowes, Stamford-Street.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 635
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 336
National Maritime Museum, v. 1, 843
Appendix I. Topographical and geological notices, by John Richardson. II. Meteorological tables, arranged from the registers kept at Fort Franklin by the officers of the expedition, at different temperatures, by Lieutenant E. N. Kendall. V. Latitude, longitude, and magnetic variatinos. VI. Observations relative to the daily variation of the horizontal magnetic needle. On the aurora borealis.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original brown moiré cloth, with publisher's printed spine label.
- Subject Terms:
- Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Clowes, William -- Printer.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1828.Murray, Johnn -- Publisher.Natural history -- Arctic regions.Northwest, Canadian -- Description and travel.Northwest, Canadian -- discovery and exploration -- British.Scientific expeditions -- Arctic regions.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1828.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1828.
YCBA Collections Search
Franklin, John, 1786-1847, Narrative of a second expedition to the shores of the Polar Sea, in the years 1825, 1826, and 1827 , 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.