Möllhausen, Balduin, 1825-1905, Diary of a journey from the Mississippi to the coasts of the Pacific with a United States government expedition , 1858
- Diary of a journey from the Mississippi to the coasts of the Pacific with a United States government expedition / by Baldwin Möllhausen, topographical draughtsman and naturalist to the expedition ; with an introduction by Alexander von Humboldt and illustrations in chromo-lithography ; translated by Mrs. Percy Sinnett ; in two volumes.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Möellhausen's Journey to the Pacific
Journey to the Pacific
Tagebuch einer Reise vom Mississippi nach den Küsten der Südsee. English
- London : Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts, 1858.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., map ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF593 .M69 1858Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The writer accompanied Lieut. Whipple's Expedition. Purpose of the expedition was to secure a railway route to the Pacific Ocean. Cf. Abbey.
Spine title: Möellhausen's Journey to the Pacific.
Map engraved by Edward Weller. Other illustrations by Hanhart; after Mollhausen.
Printed by Spottiswoode and Co., New-Street-Square.
Original German edition was published in Leipzig in 1858. Cf. Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 661
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in red bead grain publisher's binding. Brick-red end-papers with advertisements on paste-down ends in each volume. Bound by Edmonds & Remnants with ticket. Bookplate of Thomas Tamplin Lewis.
- Subject Terms:
- Discoveries in geography -- American.Edmonds & Remnants -- Binder.Lewis, Thomas Tamplin -- Bookplate.Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts -- Publisher.Overland journeys to the Pacific.Spottiswood and Co. -- Printer.United States -- Discovery and exploration.West (U.S.) -- Description and travel.
- Chromolithographs -- 1858.
Wood engravings -- 1858.
Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1858.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1858.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.