Mathews, Alfred Edward, 1831-1874, Pencil sketches of Colorado, 1866
Pencil sketches of Colorado: its cities, principal towns and mountain scenery / by A.E. Mathews.
- [New York] : [publisher not identified], 1866.
- Physical Description:
-  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 34 x 48 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 31Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Tinted lithographs, with additional hand-coloring. Plates lithographed by J. Bien, N.Y.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped maroon cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Colorado -- Description and travel.Colorado -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1866.
- Snowy Range of the Rocky Mountains; from Bald Mountain, near Nevada
- Denver, City of the Plains
- F Street, Denver
- Blake Street, Denver, Colorado
- Laramie Street, Denver
- Golden City
- Black Hawk, looking up Gregory and Chase's Gulches
- Central City; looking up Spring Gulch
- Central City; from the side of Mammoth Hill looking up Gregory and Eureka Gulches
- Nevada, Colorado
- Russell Gulch, Gilpin County [and] The Chief, Squaw and Papoose, as seen from Idaho
- Idaho, Clear Creek County [and] Fall River, Clear Creek County
- The Old Mountaineer, Fall River [and] Profile Rock, Fall River
- Empire City, Clear Creek County, from near the foot of Silver Mountain, looking towards Elizabethtown [and] Elizabethtown, Clear Creek County, from the Griffith Tunnel
- South Park
- Mount Lincoln. The town of Montgomery is seen at its base
- Twin Lakes
- Pike's Peak and Colorado City
- Garden of the Gods
- Monuments, near Monument Creek
- [Mining and Stamp Process, four images on one sheet:] Gulch Mining. Colorado Gulch. Spanish Arastra - on Clear Creek. The Stamp Process. Mr. Sensenderfer's Mill. Shaft or Lode Mining. Interior of No. 1, on the Gregory, the Black Hawk Co.'s Mine
- [The Keith Process. Hope Gold Company's Works, four images on one sheet:] The Ore Breaking Room. Blake's Ore Breaker. The Furnace. The Ore Pit, or Drying Room. Amalgamating Room
- [The Smelting Process. James E. Lyon & Co.'s Smelting Works; four images on one sheet:] Ore Dressing Room, The Buddle and Jiggs. Reverberatory Furnace. Cupel Furnace. Scotch Hearths.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.