Ellis, Henry, 1721-1806, A voyage to Hudson's-Bay , MDCCXLVII 
- A voyage to Hudson's-Bay : by the Dobbs galley and California, in the years 1746 and 1747, for discovering a north west passage; with an accurate survey of the coast, and a short natural history of the country : together with a fair view of the facts and arguments from which the future finding of such a passage is rendered probable / by Henry Ellis, gent., agent for the proprietors in the said expedition ; to which is prefixed, an historical account of the attempts hitherto made for the finding a passage that way to the East-Indies ; illustrated with proper cuts, and a new and correct chart of Hudson's-Bay, with the countries adjacent.
- London : Printed for H. Whitridge, at the Royal Exchange, MDCCXLVII 
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 336 [i.e. 344] pages,  leaves of plates, (4 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 22 cm (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1746 E47 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1746 E47 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Page iv misnumbered vi and pages 89-96 repeated.
Some of the plates engraved by James Mynde.
Signatures: A⁸ a⁴ b² B-G⁸ [G]⁴ H-Y⁸.
Map (16 x 44 cm) has title: A new chart of the parts where a North West Passage was sought in the years 1746 and 1747 : exhibiting the track of the ships throughout that expedition / by Henry Ellis.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is a large paper copy (24 cm) Bound in later three-quarter red morocco and red cloth.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary mottled calf. Armorial bookplate: Westport House.
- Subject Terms:
- California (Ship : 1746-1747) -- Early works to 1800.Dobbs Galley (Ship) -- Early works to 1800.Hudson Bay -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Hudson Bay -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Passage -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Westport House -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1748.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.