A voyage to Hudson's-Bay : by the Dobbs galley and California, in the years 1746 and 1747, for discovering a north west passage; with an accurate survey of the coast, and a short natural history of the country : together with a fair view of the facts and arguments from which the future finding of such a passage is rendered probable / by Henry Ellis, gent., agent for the proprietors in the said expedition ; to which is prefixed, an historical account of the attempts hitherto made for the finding a passage that way to the East-Indies ; illustrated with proper cuts, and a new and correct chart of Hudson's-Bay, with the countries adjacent.
- London : Printed for H. Whitridge, at the Royal Exchange, MDCCXLVII 
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 336 [i.e. 344] pages,  leaves of plates, (4 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 22 cm (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1746 E47 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1746 E47 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Page iv misnumbered vi and pages 89-96 repeated.
Some of the plates engraved by James Mynde.
Signatures: A⁸ a⁴ b² B-G⁸ [G]⁴ H-Y⁸.
Map (16 x 44 cm) has title: A new chart of the parts where a North West Passage was sought in the years 1746 and 1747 : exhibiting the track of the ships throughout that expedition / by Henry Ellis.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 22312
English short title catalogue, T145975
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is a large paper copy (24 cm) Bound in later three-quarter red morocco and red cloth.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary mottled calf. Armorial bookplate: Westport House.
- Subject Terms:
- California (Ship : 1746-1747) -- Early works to 1800.Dobbs Galley (Ship) -- Early works to 1800.Hudson Bay -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Hudson Bay -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Passage -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Westport House -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1748.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Ellis, Henry, 1721-1806, A voyage to Hudson's-Bay , MDCCXLVII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.