Webber, Charles W. (Charles Wilkins), 1819-1856, The hunter-naturalist , c1851
The hunter-naturalist : romance of sporting, or, Wild scenes and wild hunters / by C.W. Webber.
- Philadelphia : J.W. Bradley, c1851.
- Physical Description:
- 6, 8, 17-610 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. (part col.) ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 2407Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN Zc10 839wec: Bookplate: John Stuart Groves.
Part of the plates from drawings by A.J. Miller.
Vol. 1 of a projected series of seven volumes. No more published?
Published later with title: Wild scenes and wild hunters.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 186
BAC: British Art Center copy: Original fine rib-grain black cloth; stamped in gilt on spine, blind stamped on front and back covers and spine. In black cloth slip-case; red leather label with gold lettering on spine. The title page and wood engraving on page 247, reproduced. Frontispiece, title-page, 10 plates of color lithographs, 33 wood-engravings in text, 1 wood engraving on title-page. Illustrations by Joseph T. Brightly and A. Woodside. Color plates by Mrs. E.M. Webber. Nine colored scenes by Alfred J. Miller. Spine height: 11 3/8 inches. Note: The illustration on page 247 is considered to be the first depiction in a book of a fox-hunt in America.
- Subject Terms:
- Groves, John Stuart -- Bookplate.Hunting -- South Africa.Hunting -- United States.Natural history -- Outdoor books.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.