A voyage of discovery to the North Pacific Ocean : in which the coast of Asia, from the lat. of 35⁰ north to the lat. of 52⁰ north, the island of the Insu (commonly known under the name of the land of Jesso,) the north, south, and east coasts of Japan, the Lieuchieux and the adjacent isles, as well as the coast of Corea, have been examined and surveyed : performed in His Majesty's sloop Providence and her tender, in the years 1795, 1796, 1797, 1798 / by William Robert Broughton.
- London : Printed for T. Cadell and W. Davies on the Strand, 1804.
London : Printed by A. Strahan, New-Street-Square
- Physical Description:
- xx, 393,  pages,  leaves of plates (7 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS506 .B76 1804+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by Samuel Neele.
Printing statement from title page verso.
Eberstadt no. III-27.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 436
Howes, W. U.S.iana, 1650-1950 (1962 edition), no. B.82
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled diced calf, by Zaehnsdorf, London. Includes publisher's advertisements,  pages at end, not included in pagination.
- Subject Terms:
- Japan -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Japan -- Description and travel.Korea -- Description and travel.Providence (Sloop : Great Britain)Ryukyu Islands -- Description and travel.Scientific expeditions.
- Engravings -- 1804.
- Plates: A general chart of the Japanese Islands and the N.E. coast of Asia
- Charts of Thesan Harbour, Napachan Roads, Endermo Harbour, &c.
- A man and woman of Volcano Bay
- Japanese boats
- View of Port and Cape Nambu, and island to the south of the entrance of Jeddo, &c.
- View of Nipon, Volcano Bay, Endermo Harbour, &c.
- Chart of Great Lieuchieux
- Panoramic view of the Harbour of Napakaan
- View of the Island of Koomesang, entrance of the harbour of F. Chousan, &c. &c.