Journal of a voyage for the discovery of a north-west passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific : performed in the years 1819-20, in His Majesty's ships Hecla and Griper, under the orders of William Edward Parry : with an appendix, containing the scientific and other observations.
- London : John Murray, Publisher to the Admiralty, and Board of Longtitude, MDCCCXXI 
London : Printed by William Clowes, Northumberland-court,
- Physical Description:
- , xxix, , 310, , clxxix,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, maps ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1819 P151+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Zc90 +821pa: Bound with The North Georgia gazette and winter chronicle. Bookplate: Bibliothèque de Mr. le comte Riant.
Engravings by William Westall; after Frederick William Beechey and Henry Parkins Hoppner.
Maps engraved by J. Walker.
p. [clxxx]-cccx has separate title page: A supplement to the appendix of Captain Parry's voyage for the discovery of a north-west passage, in the years 1819-20. Containing an account of the subjects of natural history. London : John Murray, 1824.
Printer's statement from title page verso.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later half calf and marbled boards. Errata slip inserted. Appendixes No. VIII and IX (and 2 pages of publisher's advertisements) misbound before Appendix VII.
Englishman William Edward Parry's journal of his voyage for the discovery of a North-west passage through the Canadian Arctic in the years 1819-'20 aboard the ships Hecla and Griper. Includes official instructions to Parry from the British government on undertaking the expedition, details of land and sea exploration, encounters with Inuit (Eskimos) and fauna in the region, lists of supplies, chronometric, magnetic and lunar observations, numerous plates and maps, glossary of technical terms.
- Subject Terms:
- Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Botany -- Arctic regions.Griper (Ship)Hecla (Ship)Natural history -- Arctic regions.Northwest Passage.Riant, Paul Edouard Didier, comte, 1836-1888 -- Bookplate.Scientific expeditions -- Arctic regions.Voyages of discoveryZoology -- Arctic regions.
- Engravings -- 1821.
Aquatints -- 1821.
YCBA Collections Search
Parry, William Edward, Sir, 1790-1855, Journal of a voyage for the discovery of a north-west passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific , MDCCCXXI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.