A narrative of the death of Captain James Cook : to which are added some particulars, concerning his life and character, and observations respecting the introduction of the venereal disease into the Sandwich Islands / by David Samwell, surgeon of the Discovery.
- London : Printed for G.G.J. and J. Robinson, Pater-Noster-Row, MDCCLXXXVI 
- Physical Description:
- , 34 pages ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG246.C7 S26 1786+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original paper wrappers; stitched as issued.
By David Samwell. "In contrast with other surviving journals, Samwell's is often racy and irreverent, giving glimpses of the more frivolous aspects of the voyage, particularly in his rakish preoccupation with the attractions of the local women."--Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- Subject Terms:
- Cook, James, 1728-1779 -- Death and burial.Cook, James, 1728-1779 -- Travel -- Pacific Area.Explorers -- Great Britain -- Death.Hawaii -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800Sexually transmitted diseases -- Hawaii.
- Narrative of the death of Captain Cook
- Some particulars concerning the life and character of Captain Cook
- Observations respecting the introduction of the venereal disease into the Sandwich Islands.