May, Walter W., A series of fourteen sketches made during the voyage up Wellington channel in search of Sir John Franklin, K.C.H. and the missing crews of H.M. Discovery-ships Erebus and Terror , 
- A series of fourteen sketches made during the voyage up Wellington channel in search of Sir John Franklin, K.C.H. and the missing crews of H.M. Discovery-ships Erebus and Terror : together with a short account of each drawing / by Commander Walter W. May, R.N., late Lieutenant of H. M. Discovery-ship Assistance (Captain Sir Edward Belcher, C.B.)
- London : Published May 1, 1855, by Day and Son, lithographers to the Queen, 6-7-8-9, Gate Street, Lincoln's-Inn Fields, 
- Physical Description:
- 6,  p., [xiv] leaves of plates : ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG610 .M39 1855+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Edward Belcher was put in charge of the largest of a series of expedtions which the British government mounted to seek Sir John Franklin. In 1852, he was given five ships for this task: the Assistance (Belcher and Commander G.N. Richards), the Pioneer (Osborn), the Resolute (Kellet), the Intrepid (M.Clintock), and the North Star (Pullen).
At head of title: Dedicated by special permission to the Right Hon. Sir James R. G. Graham, Bart., G.C.B., M.P.
Lithography by J. (Joseph?) Needham and Thomas Goldsworth Dutton; after Walter W. May. Printed by Day & Son.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 646
List of subscribers: p. .
BEIN: Original wrappers.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original quarter brown cloth and printed cream wrappers.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration.Assistance (Ship) -- Pictorial works.Belcher, Edward, Sir, 1799-1877.C hron. 1855.Day and Son -- Printer.Erebus (Ship)Franklin, John, Sir, 1786-1847.Pioneer (Ship) -- Pictorial works.Scientific expeditions -- Arctic regions.Terror (Ship)Wellington Channel -- Pictorial works.
- Subscriber's lists.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1855.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.