Hennepin, Louis, active 17th century, A new discovery of a vast country in America , 1698
- A new discovery of a vast country in America : extending above four thousand miles, between New France and New Mexico : with a description of the great lakes, cataracts, rivers, plants, and animals : also, the manners, customs, and languages of the several native Indians, and the advantage of commerce with those different nations : with a continuation, giving an account of the attempts of the Sieur de la Salle upon the mines of St. Barbe, &c. : the taking of Quebec by the English, with the advantages of a shorter cut to China and Japan : both parts illustrated, with maps and figures, and dedicated to His Majesty K. William / by L. Hennepin, now resident in Holland ; to which are added, several new discoveries in North-America, not publish'd in the French edition.
- Alternate Title(s):
- New discovery of a large country in America by Father Lewis Hennepin
Nouvelle découverte d'un très grand pays situé dans l'Amérique entre le Nouveau Mexique et la mer Glaciale. English
- London : Printed for M. Bentley, J. Tonson, H. Bonwick, T. Goodwin, and S. Manship, 1698.
- Physical Description:
- , 243, , , 228 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, maps ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF352 .H4613 1698Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Zc20 697hegb: Armorial bookplates: Sr. Roger Newdigate Bart.; Iohn Newdigate of the Inner Temple, London Esqr. 1702. Bookplate: Arbury Library. Presentation inscription: J.N. ex dono Patris. First two illustrations measure 13 x 17 cm., next four measure 16 or 17 x 13 cm. All six are on sheet 19 x 16 cm., folded to 19 x 10 cm., and each is bound next to the page cited on the illustration. Map in Part 1 measures 37 x 43 cm., on sheet 41 x 44 cm., and is bound in front of p. 1. Map in Part 2 measures 27 x 43 cm., on sheet 29 x 44 cm., and is bound in front of p. 1.
With an engraved frontispiece (A1v), with title: A new discovery of a large country in America by Father Lewis Hennepin.
In two parts. Part 1 is a translation of Hennepin's "Nouvelle découverte d'un très grand pays situé dans l'Amérique"; part 2 is a translation of his "Nouveau voyage d'un pais plus grand que l'Europe".
"A new voyage into the North-west parts of America" has separate dated title page, pagination, and register. It includes a section at the end (p. 185-228) containing extracts from the works of La Salle, Joliet, and Marquette.
Signatures: A⁸ a⁴ B-Q⁸ R²; A⁸ a⁸ B-M⁸ N⁴ O-P⁸ Q⁶.
In this edition the first line of the imprint ends: Tonson.
For detailed bibliographical description of this edition see V.H. Paltsits, Bibl. of the works of Father Louis Hennepin, Chicago, 1903. p. lxi-lxiii.
Part 1 contains two untitled, unsigned illustrations, each with citation to page it illustrates; subjects are Niagara Falls and a buffalo. Part 2 contains four illustrations, all with titles and page citations; three are signed: M. Vander Gucht scul. Titles are: The unfortunate adventures of Monsr. de la Salle; The murther of Monsr. de la Salle; The cruelty of the savage Iroquois; The taking of Quebec by the English.
Part 1 contains folded map with title: A map of a large country newly discovered in the Northern America, situated between New Mexico and the frozen sea, together with the course of the great river, Meschasgpg / dedicated to His Ma'ty William III, King of Great Britain by Father Lewis Hennepin, Missionary Recollect and apostolic notary. [n.d.] Part 2 contains folded map with title: A map of a new world between New Mexico and the frozen sea, newly discovered by Father Hennepin, Missionary Recollect and native of Aht in Hainault / dedicated to His Majesty of Great Britain, William III. [n.d.] At top of this map: Continuation page 1.
Wing (CD-Rom, 1996) H1451
English short title catalogue, R24981
Alden, J.E. European Americana, 698/100
Alden, J.E. European Americana, 698/96
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 31371
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary speckled calf; rebacked. Signed in manuscript: "E. Libris Radi. (?) Drake, coll. divi. Joans. Bapte., apud Oxons. ... 1757."
- Subject Terms:
- Arbury library -- Bookplate.Bentley, M. -- Publisher.Canada -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Canada -- History -- To 1763 (New France)Drake, Rad. -- Autograph.Goodwin, T. -- Publisher.Great Lakes (North America) -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Indians of North America -- Early works to 1800.La Salle, Robert Cavelier, sieur de, 1643-1687.Mississippi River Valley -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Mississippi River Valley -- Maps.Newdigate, John, b. 1672 or 3 -- Bookplate.Newdigate, Roger, Sir, 1719-1806 -- Bookplate.Niagara Falls (N.Y. and Ont.) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.North America -- Maps.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Maps -- 1698.
Maps in books.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.