Narrative of the Arctic land expedition to the mouth of the Great Fish River, and along the shores of the Arctic Ocean in the years 1833, 1834, and 1835 / by Captain Back, R.N., commander of the expedition ; illustrated by a map and plates.
- London : John Murray, Albemarle Street, MDCCCXXXVI 
London : Printed by A. Spottiswoode, New-Street-Square
- Physical Description:
- x, , 663,  pages,  leaves of plates, (1 folded) : illustrations, 1 map ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1833 .B12+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Lithographs by Louis Haghe and Edward Finden; after George Back.
Includes subscriber's list.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 2613
National Maritime Museum. Voyage & travel, 854
BEIN: Signatures: 4 l. unsigned, a², B-TT⁸, UU⁴.
BEIN: Zc90 836bab Another issue. Large paper, 28 cm. Signatures: A⁴(A₁ unsigned) a², B-4P⁴.
BAC: British Art Center copy is a large paper copy (29 cm). Bound in full red morocco; doublures. Illustrations are mounted on India paper.
Journal kept by Sir George Back of the expedition he led from Great Slave Lake, Northwest Territories, northeast to the Fish River (Back River) and the Arctic Coast. Includes scientific observations.
- Subject Terms:
- Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration.Back, George, Sir, 1796-1878.Northwest, Canadian -- Description and travel.Ross, John, Sir, 1777-1856.Scientific expeditions -- Arctic regions.
- Lithographs -- 1836.
- Plates: Salt Plains
- North Shore of Great Slave Lake
- Beverley's Falls, Mouth of Hoar Frost River
- Portage in Hoar Frost River
- Sussex Lake, Source of the Thlew-ee-choh-dezeth
- Crossing Lake Aylmer
- Interview with the Esquimaux of the Thlew-ee-choh-dezeth
- Esquimaux of the Thlew-ee-choh-dezeth
- Victoria Headland, mouth of the Thlew-ee-choh-dezeth
- Montreal Island, view to seaward
- Thunder Storm near Point Ogle
- Western view from near Mount Barrow
- Anderson's Falls
- Map of the Route, &c. at the end.