Voyage autour du monde, fait dans les années 1803, 1804, 1805 et 1806 : par les ordres de Sa Majesté Impériale, Alexandre Ier, Empereur de Russie, sur les vaisseaux la Nadriedjeda et la Neva / commandés par M. de Krusenstern, traduit de l'aveu et avec des additions de l'auteur ; la traduction revué par M. J.-B-B. Eyriès.
- Additional Title(s):
Puteshtvie vokrug sveta. French
- Paris : Librairie de Gide Fils, Rue-Saint-Marc-Feydeau, No. 20, 1821.
[Paris] : A. Egron, imprimeur, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes ; 21 cm and 1 atlas (4 pages, xxx leaves of plates) : illustrations (maps, portraits) ; 47 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 33Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- In 1803 Ivan Fedorovich Kruzenshtern was commissioned by Tsar Alexander I to lead the first circumnavigation of the world by Russian Navy vessels. The purpose of the voyage was to establish trade with China and Japan, facilitate trade in South America, and examine California for a possible colony. The two ships sailed from Kronstadt (an island just west of St. Petersburg) in the Baltic in August 1803. After rounding Cape Horn, they made calls in ports on the west coast of South America and charted portions of the California coast. Additional calls were made in the Russian possessions in Alaska and in China and Japan. Various islands in the Central Pacific were also charted before the ships returned via the Cape of Good Hope to Kronstadt, arriving in August 1806.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 38332
BAC: British Art Center copy volumes 1-2 bound in contemporary green quarter morocco and green marbled boards. Atlas volume bound in brown boards.
- Subject Terms:
- China -- Description and travel.Discoveries in geography -- Russian.Japan -- Description and travel.Kamchatskai︠a︡ oblastʹ (Russia) -- Description and travel.Kruzenshtern, Ivan Fedorovich, 1770-1846 -- Travel.Nadezhda (Ship)Neva (Ship)Pacific Area -- Discovery and exploration.Scientific expeditions -- Russia.Voyages around the world -- Portraits.Voyages around the world -- Russia.
- Soft-ground etchings -- 1821.
Engravings -- 1821.
YCBA Collections Search
Kruzenshtern, Ivan Fedorovich, 1770-1846, Voyage autour du monde, fait dans les années 1803, 1804, 1805 et 1806 , 1821
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.