California : a history of Upper and Lower California from their first discovery to the present time, comprising an account of the climate, soil, natural productions, agriculture, commerce, &c. : a full view of the missionary establishments and condition of the free and domesticated Indians : with an appendix relating to steam navigation in the Pacific : illustrated with a new map, plans of the harbours, and numerous engravings / by Alexander Forbes, Esq.
- London : Smith, Elder and Co., Cornhill, 1839.
Chichester : Printed by William Hayley Mason
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 352 pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF864 .F67 1839Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printer's statement from foot of page 352.
Illustrations after S. Drummond, Capt. William Smyth, J.A. Pinto, Capt. Beechley, Capt. John Hall, and L.M. Lefevre. Lithography by Day & Haghe.
Map of California engraved by John Arrowsmith.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original purple cloth; binder's ticket: Westleys & Co.
- Subject Terms:
- Baja California (Mexico : Peninsula) -- History.California -- History -- To 1846.Indians of North America -- California.Missions -- California.Steam-navigation -- Pacific Ocean.
- Lithographs -- 1839.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1839.
- Plates: Portrait of Father Peyri
- Portrait of a Native Indian
- View of the bay of Monterey
- View of the harbour of San Francisco
- View of Santa Barbara
- The Indian hot air bath or Temescal
- View of the Mission of San Carlos
- View of the Presidio and Puebla of Monterey
- View of the Mission of San Francisco
- Throwing the laso, with a view of the Mission of St. Joseph
- Map of California.