Alexander, James Edward, Sir, 1803-1885, Transatlantic sketches , 1833
- Transatlantic sketches : comprising visits to the most interesting scenes in North and South America, and the West Indies : with notes on Negro slavery and Canadian emigration / by Capt. J.E. Alexander, 42D Royal Highlanders, F.R.G.S. M.R.A.S. etc. ; author of Travels in Ava, Persia, etc.
- London : Richard Bentley, New Burlington Street, Publisher in Ordinary to His Majesty, 1833.
London : Printed by Samuel Bentley, Dorset Street
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE165 .A44 1833Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The author visited British Guiana, Barbados, Tobago, Trinidad, Grenada, St. Vincents, Jamaica, and Cuba; thence up the Mississippi, through Canada and the eastern United States.
Etchings by William Heath; after James Edward Alexander.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 735
BEIN: Original boards, uncut.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled and blind-stamped calf. Armorial bookplate: Sans Changer.
- Subject Terms:
- Canada -- Description and travel.Cuba -- Description and travel.Guyana -- Description and travel.United States -- Description and travel.West Indies, British -- Description and travel.
- Engravings -- 1833.
Etchings -- 1833.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.