Hunter's Eastern Townships scenery, Canada East / by W.S. Hunter, Junior.
- Additional Title(s):
Eastern Townships scenery, Canada East
- Montreal : Printed and published by John Lovell, St. Nicholas Street, 1860.
- Physical Description:
- , 36 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, map ; 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1054.E13 H86 1860+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Lithography by John Henry Bufford; after William S. Hunter.
With an added lithographed title page.
All plates, except the title, are oval in shape and have a small colored vignette, with caption, in each corner.
Text printed in two columns.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 632
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original blind-tooled purple cloth. Title stamped in gilt on cover. Inscribed: Presented to Elizabeth Sarah Fourdrinier by Asa Bernard Foster. Shefford, Canada East. 14 June 1860. "Wiew" on plate 10 not corrected. No separate captions in corners of plate 14.
- Subject Terms:
- Eastern Townships (Québec) -- Description and travel.Foster, Asa Bernard -- Pres. insc. to Elizabeth Sarah Fourdriner, 14 June 1860.Fourdrinier, Elizabeth Sarah -- Pres. insc. from Asa Bernard Foster, 14 June 1860.Québec (Province) -- Description and travel.Railroads -- Canada -- Maps.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1860.
Lithographs -- 1860.
- I. Geographical and topographical features of the Eastern Townships
- II. Brief sketch of the history of the Townships; the early settler, and the farmer of the present day
- III. Climate and soil
- IV. Principal fish of the Eastern Townships
- V. Principal wild animals
- VI. Birds, fowl
- VII. Forest and fruit trees, wild and cultivated
- VIII. Geology and minerals
- IX. Principal towns and villages
- X. Description of plates.
- Plates: Railways by which the Eastern Townships of Canada may be reached
- Lake Memphremagog, C.E.
- View from Sugar Loaf looking North Lake Memphremagog
- Mountain Scenery, Eastern Townships C.E.
- Owls Head, Round Island Whet Stone Island, & Magoon Point
- View on the River Saint Francis C.E.
- River St. Francis near Richmond & Melbourne
- Confluence of the Massauwippi with River Saint Francis
- The Pinnacle looking North from the Little Lake, Barnston, C.E.
- Wiew of Owls head from Sugar Loaf Mountain looking South, Lake Memphremagog, C.E.
- Falls on the Coaticook River
- Lake Massauwippi
- View from the Artist's residence
- View on the St. Francis near Sherbrooke.