Sketches of a tour to the lakes : of the character and customs of the Chippeway Indians, and of incidents connected with the Treaty of Fond du Lac / by Thomas L. McKenney, of the Indian Department, and joint Commissioner with his Excellency Gov. Cass, in negotiating the Treaty ; also, a vocabulary of the Algic, or Chippeway language, formed in part, and as far as it goes, upon the basis of one furnished by the Hon. Albert Gallatin ; ornamented with twenty-nine engravings of Lake Superior, and other scenry, Indian likenesses, costumes &c.
- Additional Title(s):
Half-title: Tour to the lakes.
- Baltimore : Published by Fielding Lucas, Jun'r, 1827.
- Physical Description:
- viii, , 10-493,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, portraits ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF551 .M35 1827Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographed plates variously signed: Swett, Lith. of Pendleton; E. Stewart, Lith. of Pendleton; Imbert's Lithography. Some plates unsigned. Certain of the plates vary from copy to copy.
Copyright Apr. 18, 1827 by Fielding Lucas, Jun'r.
"J.D. Toy, print."--verso of title page.
BEIN: Copy 2: Book label (5424) of George Brinley.
BEIN: Copy 3: some of the plates are colored. Presentation inscription from T. L. McKenney to John Jacob Astor.
BEIN Zc16 C6 +827Mc: Some plates are colored. Bookseller's label: Williams Book Shop, Detroit. Bookplate of Paul Mellon.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blue-gray boards; untrimmed, re-backed. Plates are uncolored. Ink stamp of the French College of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Williamstown. Autograph of Geo. Rymsons (?).
- Subject Terms:
- Astor, John Jacob, 1763-1848 -- Presentation inscription from T. L. McKenney.Brinley, George, 1817-1875 -- Book label (5424).English language -- Dictionaries -- Chippewa.French College of the Immaculate Heart of Mary -- Stamp.Great Lakes (North America) -- Description and travel.McKenney, Thomas Loraine, 1785-1859 -- Presentation inscription to John Jacob Astor.Mellon, Paul -- Bookplate.Ojibwa Indians.Ojibwa language -- Dictionaries -- English.Rymsons, George -- Autograph.
- Hand-colored illustrations.
Booksellers' labels (Provenance) -- Williams Book Shop.
Lithographs -- 1827.
YCBA Collections Search
McKenney, Thomas Loraine, 1785-1859, Sketches of a tour to the lakes , 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.