IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Serlio, Sebastiano, 1475-1554, The first[-fift] booke of architecture , 1611
The first[-fift] booke of architecture / made by Sebastian Serly ... Translated out of Italian into Dutch, and out of Dutch into English.
- London : Printed for R. Peake, 1611.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. in 1. ill., plans, diagrs. 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 S413+ Copy 1 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 S413+Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- BAC : British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 has leaf H2 (blank) in book 1, and 1 blank leaf between leaves A1 and A2 in book 3 (possibly leaf N4 from book 2, misbound). In copy 1, the signatures F and H have been superimposed on leaf F1 in book 2; and leaves D1 and D2 in book 1 (which are misnumbered fol. 6-5) are in reversed order. In copy 2, leaves D1 and D2 in book 1 are in the correct order (although still misnumbered), and leaf F1 in book 2 has the signature H.
In copy 2, leaf N4 in book 2 (blank) is present. Copy 1 inscribed Edward Craig, 1935; John Evans, 1732; John Duckers, l793; John Hope, P. Lynch; with book label of Gordon Craig; with note by an unknown hand ascribingprevious ownership to Thomas Cotton; and with an article from Gordon Craig's. The mask tipped in. Copy 2 inscribed Danl. Robertson, 1807; with bookplate of Richard Blackett Beaumont; and with tipped-in receipt of Mr. Hillyard, signed Robt. Peake.
BAC : STC (2d ed.) 22235.
BAC : According to the STC, book 1 was apparently printed by T. Snodham; the woodcuts were used earlier in the Antwerp, 1553, and Basel, 1608 editions.
BAC : Printer's imprint at the end of book 5: "Printed at London, by Simon Stafford. 1611."
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Early works to 1800.
- IIIF Manifest:
- book 1. Of geometrie.--book 2. Of perspectiue.--book 3. Of all kind of excellent antiquities.--book 4. Rules for masontry.--book 5. Certayne formes of temples, according to the ancient maner; and also seruing for Christians.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.