Sketches of the approved designs of a chapel and gateway entrances : intended to be erected at Kensall Green for the General Cemetery Company / by H.E. Kendall, architect.
- Additional Title(s):
Design for a chapel & catacombs, with entrance gates & lodges to be erected at Kensall Green, for the General Cemetery Company
- London : Published by J. Williams, 1832.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 28 x 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA4870 K4+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Features illustrations of Kendall's designs in the Gothic style.
Caption title of introductory text: Design for a chapel & catacombs, with entrance gates & lodges to be erected at Kensall Green, for the General Cemetery Company.
Lithographs by Thomas Allom; printed by Charles Hullmandel.
Lithographed throughout, including introductory text.
"Kendall's success in the competition to design the cemetery's chapel and gateways was later overturned, and the buildings were eventually executed after John William Griffith's [i.e. John Griffith, of Finsbury] Grecian designs."--British Architectural Library.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 1653
Curl, J.S. Victorian celebration of death, p. 60-64
BAC: British Art Center copy in publisher's original printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Gothic -- England -- London.Cemeteries -- England -- London.Chapels -- England -- London.Gateways -- England -- London.General Cemetery Company.Griffith, John, of Finsbury, 1796-1888.Kensal Green (London, England)Kensal Green Cemetery (London, England)Williams, J. -- Publisher.
- Lithographs -- 1832.
- Proposed picturesque arrangement of cemetery ground. Plan of chapel
- North east view of proposed cemetery chapel, Kensall Green
- South west view of proposed cemetery chapel, Kensall Green
- Interior of proposed cemetery chapel, Kensall Green
- Entrance gate from the road to the proposed cemetery, Kensall Green
- Water gate from the grounds to the proposed cemetery, Kensall Green.