Vernon, Jonathan, Dialectical materialism , 2019
Dialectical materialism : aspects of British sculpture since the 1960s.
- Additional Title(s):
Aspects of British sculpture since the Sixties
- London : Ridinghouse, 2019.
New York, NY : Artbook
- Physical Description:
- 53 pages : illustrations (chiefly colour) ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryN6768 .V47 2019 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "Anthony Caro, Barry Flanagan, Richard Long, William Turnbull, Rachel Whiteread, Alison Wilding"--back cover.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 51-53).
Catalogue of an exhibition held at Karsten Schubert Gallery, London, 28 September - 6 October 2019.
Dialectical Materialism: Aspects of British Sculpture Since the 1960s', conceived by Karsten Schubert, is a bold, subtle and imaginative intervention into this complex subject, reconsidering its terrain through a small selection of artists and objects. In doing so, it focuses on objects more than contexts, on the art work not the art school. The title has two parts. The first part, 'Dialectical Materialism', a much debated term drawn from Hegel and Marxist political philosophy, is deployed here to point to the dynamic and generative forces of opposition and reaction that have charged and driven the making of much sculpture in Britain since the post-war years. In the essay that follows, Jonathan Vernon looks into the potential of this concept in relation to the developing treatment of material, space and object-hood found in British sculpture since 1960. The second part, 'Aspects of British Sculpture', is drawn from Herbert Read's introduction to the catalogue of British Pavilion for the XXVI Venice Biennale in 1952. In this text, which championed the work of Lynn Chadwick, Reg Butler, William Turnbull, Kenneth Armitage, Geoffrey Clarke, Bernard Meadows, Eduardo Paolozzi, Robert Adams and Henry Moore.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Philosophy -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Art -- Philosophy.Caro, Anthony, 1924-2013.Dialectical materialism -- Exhibitions.Dialectical materialism.Flanagan, Barry, 1941-2009.Long, Richard, 1945-Sculpture, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Sculpture, British.Turnbull, William, 1922-2012.Whiteread, Rachel, 1963-Wilding, Alison, 1948-
- Exhibition catalogs.