Perry, Grayson, 1960-, Grayson Perry , 2020
- Grayson Perry : the pre-therapy years / edited by Catrin Jones and Chris Stephens.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Works. Selections
- London ; New York : Thames & Hudson, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 175 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 25 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.P42452 A12 2020 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published to accompany the exhibition "Grayson Perry: the pre-therapy years" held at The Holburne Museum, Bath, 24 January - 25 May 2020, The Centre of Ceramic Art (CoCA) at York City Art Gallery, York, 19 June - 20 September 2020 and Sainsbury Centre, Norwich, 18 October 2020 - 31 January 2021.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
The first book to concentrate on the early ceramic work of 'Transvestite Potter', bestselling author, broadcaster and social commentator Grayson Perry. Grayson Perry is now a household name as a result of his widely viewed television documentaries, numerous publications - including his critically acclaimed book about masculinity, 'The Descent of Man' - and dazzling appearances dressed as his alter ego, Claire. However, Perry first came to public attention in 2003 when he won the Turner Prize, the first ceramicist to do so, and rapidly established a unique brand as 'the transvestite potter'. Ceramics are still central to Perry's work as an artist, and this book examines the plates, pots and statues from the early 1980s to the mid-1990s that laid the foundations of his career. It traces his artistic development, examining the iconography and meaning behind the work, as well as placing his art in the context not only of his own psychological make-up in the period before he underwent therapy but also of the various subcultures of the London art scene. Exhibition: Holborne Museum, Bath, UK (24.01.-25.05.2020) / York City Art Gallery, York, UK (19.06.-20.09.2020) / Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts, Norwich, UK (18.10.2020 - 31.01.2021).
- Subject Terms:
- Art and Design.Art and Design.Artists -- England -- Exhibitions.Artists.Decorative arts -- England -- Exhibitions.Decorative arts.England.Perry, Grayson, 1960-Perry, Grayson, 1960- -- Exhibitions.Pottery -- Exhibitions.Pottery.
- Exhibition catalogs.